Sunday, June 27, 2010

Vegas

So I went on vacation to Las Vegas this past week. My friend Cheryl invited me out to her time share and we partied like rock stars. Okay- that isn't exactly true. We partied like middle aged people. No- also not true. We partied like pregnant women (at least Mom did). I took over 260 photos. So this is my WEAK attempt at sharing a few of the favourite moments. Weak. But- here goes. (oh- and I wasn't going to bring my camera to the Canyon Ranch Spa day that she and I shared. That would have been an entire blog post in itself).
MGM Grand.

Mandalay Bay- probably in my top three favourite resorts. Beautiful.

New York New York. Biggest regret about Vegas pregnant- not being able to ride the rollar coaster. Swear.

Excaliber. I thought it looked like Disney Land.

Oh the fountain show at the Bellagio. Everyone told me that this would be one of my hightlights and it certainly was. Cheryl and I worked this night right. After dinner we went to the bar that has the prime terrace for viewing. We got an amazing seat and drank our decaf latte's for hours. There are at least 10 different songs balletically choreographed with water. Unbelievable.




If I had to pick a favourite hotel it would probably have been the Wynn. It's at the top of the 'new' strip. The hotel itself is impeccably designed with rich jewel-toned light fixtures that knock your socks off. The piece-de-resistance of the hotel is its fountain that projects short films. Its a light show meets music video kind of concept. We spent way too much on a virgin cocktail and enjoyed the show. Pretty sweet actually.


Best Burger I've ever had. Burger Bar at Madalay Place. Build-your-own-style. Colby Beef, Avocado, Blue cheese perfection. And those onion rings. I'm sad thinking I won't have another like it for a long long time.

So a short 30-minute drive from downtown Las Vegas is Red Rock Canyon. To say this place was breathtaking is a pretty massive understatement.



The beginning of our hike: 'Icebox Canyon'. I've never experienced hiking like this. We trekked through hot desert sand for a mile or two and then pumped our legs through massive boulders into what was the smallest portion of 'shade' you can imagine- where we drank copious amounts of water, ate some granola, turned around and trekked back. My poor thighs are still hurting from pushing that baby up and down those rocks. The views were incapturable by camera- although I certainly did my best. There was some serious magic in this place. I count myself blessed to have had the opportunity to be there.

Mamacita hiking:

Cheryl hiking:

The Ladies out for their fancy birthday dinner celebration.

Chef Joel Robuchon treated us to Fois Gras au Pied de Cochon; Argula Greens; Seafood Risotto with Chilian Sea Bass and "Le Biscuit" which I won't even bother to try and explain- because perfection can not be put into words. After an insanely perfect dinner we enjoy 'Ka' by Cirque de Soliel. I've never seen Cirque before. I was so awe-struck I can only describe my reaction as completely child-like. I just kept thinking "how?", "how?", "how are they doing that?".

2nd dessert: a surprise birthday tarte for the '30' girls.

The ladies (and the little man)

On our last day we spent the afternoon by the 'M''s private 21 plus private pool. No bathing suit photo's people- you should be thankful. After that we watched a cooking demo at their "Studio B" with chef Tina Martini. Very fun. Topped however by the "best buffet in Vegas". No really. Best. Ever. It was seafood night and we were treated to the most amazing crab legs you have EVER tasted.

No comments: